Question about Brain Mets - 1251281

sherrys

I know that symptoms of brain mets vary from person to person. Would a headache that comes and goes daily (sometimes on the left forehead and someimes on the right), but is more prominent in the morning, be suspicious in a person with a history of brain mets?

Forums

catdander
Sherry, I don't know the answer to your question but I will ask a doctor to comment.
I'm so sorry you're having headaches, I'm sure it could be from the stress of losing your dad.

sherrys

I do think it may be from stress or sinuses, but coincidentally, when my headaches started in April, Dad had just moved in with us and everyone thought they were stress then. That sadly wasn't the case. I do have an appointment with my oncologist on Monday, but it's driving me crazy. lol Thank you for contacting the drs. for me.

Dr West

Yes, a headache that is worse in the morning is a pattern we see with brain metastases, but it could also just be a regular headache that is worse in the morning. Headaches are high on the list of most common reason to see a doctor, so most of the time, it's not from cancer.

Good luck. As always, we'll be anxious to hear how things go and will want to help any way we can, even if it's just to congratulate you for having garden variety headaches...

-Dr. West

ssflxl

Sherry,

I just want to let you know about my headaches. I've always had some allergy problems, but since being on Tarceva, I've had more sinus headaches (had neg MRI coulple times which just showed sinus mucosal thickening). I think Tarceva dries out everything - your skin, mucous membrane, nasal and sinus passages are very dried up. This can cause frequent sinus pressure for me. now every night, I have to use the Saline Sinus rinse, in addition to the Saline Ocean nasal spray to keep my nose moist (to prevent nose bleeds). I tell my onc that it's not just simple dry skin you get from Tarceva!!! Right now, I am dealing with terrrible paronychia infection of my big toe which I never had before. I also find that when I take a higher dose of Tarceva, my subcutaneous tissue and muscle also shrivel up - like it's dehydrated!!! I frankly turn into a PRUNE!!! I hear that people's rash comes and goes, and I wish that was my case. My skin problem (just on 50mg) just comes and comes and comes - never get a good day!!
Good Luck

ssflxl

sherrys

Thank you for answering my question. Would a headache from a brain met change places?

ssflxl, I keep telling my family that Tarceva hates me. I am on 50 mg, trying to build back up to 100, but like you, my rash just continues as does the diarreah. Thank you for telling me about your sinus issues. I could have the same problem. The only thing I'm not sure of is that my ears are ringing, too.

Dr West

I wouldn't expect a headache from brain metastases to move, but I don't think it's really feasible to just speculate about whether a headache is from brain metastases. If the symptoms are suspicious enough (and I'm not going to tell someone online that their symptoms don't merit evaluation), the way you determine whether there are brain metastases is by scanning, not by trying to infer it. Just today, I had an asymptomatic patient come back with brain metastases when I sent her for a routine scan as part of staging, so making speculative inferences from symptoms or lack of symptoms just isn't that reliable.

-Dr. West

double trouble

Sherry, I'm hoping it's just sinuses. Please let us know when you get it diagnosed. Whatever the cause, I'm hoping there is a treatment to make you feel better. I'll be watching for your updates.
Debra

certain spring

Just wanted to sympathise, Sherry, as I know a little of what you are going through - and it must be all the worse because of your recent experiences. When I get a run of headaches I have to work very hard to hold my nerve and quiet the voice in my head that is asking all the questions you're asking yourself now ("is it happening in the morning? it is moving around? is it sinuses, the computer, what? when is the last/next MRI?"). It is horrible not to know what is going on. But you're such a strong and admirable person that I know you're going to get up in the morning and keep going until (and after) you get an answer. All my best.

Dr West

Sherry,

I hope you'll let us know as soon as you know more. I don't mean to scare you -- I think there's a very good chance it [i]isn't[/i] brain metastases -- but the scan will be the key to either moving forward with a needed plan or providing a lot of helpful reassurance.

-Dr. West

sherrys

Dr.West,

Thank you for coming back to tell me that. I have an appointment with Dr. Socinski on Monday. I think my earlier questions were to see if I needed to be alarmed NOW, or if I could wait until Monday. Either way, I am alarmed. I did take a couple of doses of sinus medication that seems to be working, but I still keep getting a nagging pain in one spot, which is all to familiar. I hope and pray that I come back with good news.

Thank you again!

sherrys

Hello everyone. I wanted to come back with an update. I saw my oncologist on Monday. Nothing about my headaches raised a red flag to him. He said that the areas I am complaining of headaches in are right above my sinus cavities. He also wasn't concerned because they move around. For example, today the entire front of my face hurts. so I am also leaning toward sinuses.

He is keeping me on the 50 mg of Tarceva because I am still having many side effects from it, but they are tolerable at this point. I will have a "complete work up" either the end of this month or the beginning of January, depending on which time frame my insurance will pay for. I will have a brain MRI, and a chest and abdominal CT. My oncologist states that he isn't looking for any surprises, but obviously scans are a good thing to have.

Thank you again for all of you being here.

double trouble

Sherry, I'm glad you're scheduled for the brain MRI. Even though we all want it to be sinuses I know you won't be able to relax until you've had the scan no matter how reassuring your doctor is. With your history I can only imagine what you're going through. Please keep us updated, and know that I'm thinking of you.
Debra

certain spring

I can only echo what Debra says - I don't doubt the stress is awful but am glad to hear of your doctor's opinion. All best.