Radiation and chemotherapy - 1272946

merilee

I Had surgery ( wedge Resection ) to remove tumor. Adenocarcinoma stage 2A due go one lymph node involved.. Enlarged chest lymph nodes positive. I had Pet Scan and.MRI
All was clear except the chest lymph nodes.... my oncologist referred me to an radiation oncologist who says this us considered a local reoccurance, it I'd bear whereby original tumor was. Same cells as try original one. I don't.know if it I'd better go treat and get it . When it is local... I feel do scared again,bas I went through the surgery. And try clean up clean up chemo, and it didn't get it all. Radiation and chemotherapy is the plan. I kustfinudhed.Chemo in Sept. I am worried about radiation and chemo...Will it work this time and side. .effects. what can only expect? It will be in chest area as nodes are on that area... thought he said Hillar. .....any thoughts, experience and outcomes. .please post
. . . . . .....
Thank You. M M

Forums

catdander
Merilee,

I'm sorry you're still dealing with cancer. I'm not sure I understand your post exactly but the question about what to do would depend on whether the cancer is considered curable or whether you will be treated to keep in under control like a chronic problem. If a cure is what is thought possible radiation is usually used if surgery isn't. If you aren't able to cure it and will treat is as a chronic problem then systemic treatment is used such as chemo, targeted therapy or immunotherapy.

I hope this helps and the best of luck,
Janine

merilee

Janine, thank you for your reply, I am sorry my question was somewhat confusing.
I believe from what Dr said us that it is.possible to cure. ? What I do know is that
I was dx with stage 2A adenocarcinoma non small cell, wedge resection removed
tumor and 7 lymph nodes, one positive. Chemo afterwards 4 rounds. Last chemo
In September. Follow-up CT in January which showed enlarged chest lymph
Nodes, biopsied and was told a local recurrence of original cancer. Plan is radiation
Every day 5-6 wks along with chemo ( Taxol/ Carbopatin. Spelling may be wrong.
I guess I'm concerned about the treatments , side effects success for anyone.who
Has been through having local recurrence and these treatments. I am concerned about a lot of things ,,, as many are, I guess I want someone to tell me I'm gonna be okay , which I know nobody really can . So I ask questions of others that have experienced what I am going through, and sometimes that helps., , I guess I'm just really scared ....thank you. . MM

JimC

Hi merilee,

I am sorry to hear of your recurrence. As far as whether this may be curable, Dr. Sanborn has stated:

"When I have a patient with a recurrent tumor near the site of the initial tumor, one of the first things I ask is where else the tumor might be located. If the cancer has come back in a widespread fashion, then we know that treatment is not going to be curative, but palliative.

However, there are times when the cancer has just grown back in a small area of the bronchus, or a nearby lymph node, etc. Sometimes then we can explore the option of a repeat surgery, or, more commonly, very focused radiation or the combination of chemotherapy and radiation at the same time." - http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php?topic=1819.msg10765#msg10765

And Dr. West added:

"I have a couple of patients who have done very well and are likely cured after getting treated for what was either a new early cancer or a local recurrence with no evidence of disease elsewhere."

As far as side effects of treatment, the most common complication from concurrent chemo and radiation is an increased risk of esophagitis, which is an inflammation of the esophagus, causing symptoms such as difficult/painful swallowing, heartburn, mouth sores, etc. Hopefully it will not be too difficult for you.

JimC
Forum moderator

merilee

Thank you both for your.replies, I had a Pet Scan and a Mri and both came
Back good, Only the two lymph nodes in chest, My Dr is surprised that
the chemo after surgery didn't get it .The Rad Dr and my Oncologist think it
Was there when dx but was so microscopic it didn't show up. ? I Will be having a radiation consult. next week,and will be starting chemo with Taxol and Carboplatin and probably the radiation then too....just hoping I can handle it all without to many side effects. Dr said iI could get a port or another type, so I don't have to be poked so
much again , but really don't want them, so will try getting poked I guess, just have to have someone good as I am very tiny with tiny vains.i can always change mind I guess.
Will keep in touch...thank you all again, thank you Dr West for your input, you respond
So quickly, wish you were in Wisconsin.. M M
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions or updates.......

catdander
Good luck Meiilee I hope you do well with few side effects. If your onc thinks it's a good idea a port may be put in so you won't get poked each time a needle is used. It also helps keep your viens in good shape.

All best,
Janine