Second primary and maybe third? - 1261620

falstaff

I recently posted a question under "Recurrence T2N0M0" about my father's new lung nodule after 4 years of NED of adenocarcinoma. He underwent a re-do thoracotomy last wednesday and the surgeon said it was very hard to go in, a lot of adherences and fibrosis because of the previous radiation and post-op changes but he could extract the 2cm nodule through a wedge resection. We had hoped a middle lobectomy was possible but he said the whole lung would have come out if he pursued it and that would have left him with poor quality of life because of his COPD and emphysema. It turned out to be a new histology: squamous. We do not have the final path report just the frozen path. Also, he said he touched a part of the intercostal muscle that was unusually hard and decided to scoop it out with an alligator clamp and it also showed malignancy on the frozen path. He said it was microscopic and if he didn't operate with a magnifying glass he wouldn't have seen it. The radiologist told me it was very unusual because the nodule is not close at all to this other area of muscle. Could this be scar carcinoma or a third primary? The surgeon said he left three staples on it so we could radiate or pursue cyber knife in the future. The oncologist is still waiting for path final report but believes he will only recommend radiation after surgery because lung cancer chemo could advance his chronic lymphocytic leukemia. We believe chemo may be essential for his treatment but will discuss further with him or get second opinion. This all may be too premature (without path report) but I would like your opinion as to what could that intercostal muscle malignancy be related to. I've tried searching the site and have found chest wall invasion from the tumor but that does not seem to be the case here. Any info would be appreciated, thank you!

Forums

catdander
Hi falstaff, I'm sorry your father is experiencing new cancer. It seems every person's cancer is complicated and individual but your father's seems especially so. Since it does seem (to me) very specific I'll poke Dr. West for input.

All the best to your father, you and your family,
Janine

falstaff

Thank you Janine for your words. I should add that he's had very close follow up due to his CLL. July and Sept 2013 scans showed NED or new lung nodules. The Dec. 30 PET/CT only showed the 1.8cm lung nodule. The intercostal muscle nor any lymph nodes (surgeon said he saw none suspicious) lit up in this test suggestive of lung cancer. He did have the same prominent CLL nodes with stable low FDG uptake. Thanks again!

Dr West

The 4 year interval and the difference in tumor histology definitely argue strongly that his current cancer is independent and not a recurrence of his old one. As for the intercostal muscle, I'm puzzled by the report that the spot was so small that it was nearly microscopic yet must have been large enough to be very hard -- an incredibly tiny focus of disease doesn't harden the tissue. Regardless, I think you need to see what the pathology is and take things from there. If chemotherapy isn't feasible because of his CLL, then that's a limitation that may well help make the decision of whatever subsequent treatment may or may not be safely done.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

falstaff

Hi! Pathology report is in. Tumor 2cm was squamous moderately to well differentiated with clear margins of 3cm. Chest wall was also squamous mod to well differentiated. Would this be considered muscle hematogenous metastasis? I have read that there is a 1% probability of muscle mets in lung cancer. What would be the standard treatment recommended, chemo/radio? If it got there through the bloodstream, could this mean it could be in other places but not show up in imaging studies as of yet? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

catdander
A metastasis outside the lung of primary tumor isn't considered curable but is treatable. If no nodes are thought to be affected then yes cancer is expected to have traveled in the bloodstream and remains in the bloodstream thus is expected to show up somewhere else.

Systemic therapy is the treatment used to keep the cancer at bay; in many cases for a couple to several years. Our faculty doctors are known to repeat themselves to make a point often lost on those who haven't dealt with cancer day to day, Dr. Weiss puts it really well in his blog post, Intro to first line therapy.., "Every cancer therapy has two purposes: to improve duration of life, and to improve quality of life. Every other measure of chemotherapy success, such as response rate or progression-free-survival, is a surrogate to these two true goals. I am using the broken record as my pseudo-apology for repeating this mantra repeatedly on GRACE, to my colleagues, and in my mind every time I make a treatment decision.

"Chemotherapy is the most important treatment for achieving these two goals in stage IV disease. Stage IV means that the cancer has spread and is no longer curable. Incurable is not the same as untreatable. Cure means eliminating every last cancer cell. Treatment means providing real benefit, in the form of achieving these two goals." http://cancergrace.org/lung/2010/04/16/introduction-to-first-line-thera…

http://cancergrace.org/lung/2010/09/18/lung-faq-ive-just-been-diagnosed…

An excellent start to molecular markers, though your dad is highly unlikely to have treatable mutations outside clinical trials since his cancer is squam. http://cancergrace.org/lung/2010/10/10/overview-of-molecular-markers-in…

This should get you off to a good start. I'm so sorry you have the need to come to Grace but we are here to help answer questions and share info.

Best,
Janine

falstaff

Thank you Janine. My question is more in regards to my father's particular situation where they have removed the primary tumor with clear margins and nothing else was PET avid. The chest wall metastasis did not appear on PET but the surgeon identified it during resection stating it was "microscopic." There is no nodal involvement either. I have read that occasionally resection of isolated metastasis and primary tumor leads to long term survival. Would it be recommended to pursue cyber knife for his intercostal muscle focal lesion at this time? He had the wedge resection a week ago and now we are trying to identify course of action. Because of his close follow up imaging studies (july, september and december 2013) we do know the primary wasn't seen till the december PET study. Should chemo/radio start as soon as possible after he has recovered from surgery? I apologize for all the questions but this is my father's third cancer in 5 years and my experience has been that this is the critical time for decision making. Thanks again for your input!

Dr West

With a squamous cancer in both the lung and chest wall, this is highly suggestive that the cancer has spread via the bloodstream through to the chest wall from the primary tumor in the lung. It would be fair to call it oligometastatic ("literally, "few metastases") stage IV lung cancer

The challenge is that, as you indicted in your question, the presence of one metastases almost always means that there are other micrometastases that aren't visible on scans, but they're likely to emerge later. In terms of what exactly to do after surgery, with no evidence of residual disease, there is no clear answer. You could arguably consider it similar to resection of an early stage NSCLC, in which there is still a risk for micrometastases causing visible recurrence months or years later, but with a very high probability of recurrence expected. There have been patients with a solitary lesion to the brain or adrenal gland who have gone years and years without progression; theoretically, we might expect to see long-term survivors after resection or some other definitive treatment for a solitary bone or muscle lesion or liver metastasis, but I've never seen or heard of such good results in these circumstances, I'm sorry to say.

Chemotherapy, similar to "adjuvant chemotherapy" after surgery for an early stage NSCLC, would be reasonable to recommend in hopes of eradicating the last cancer cell, though that's a very ambitious goal. Radiation might also be done in the area around the chest wall/muscle lesion, but there is no evidence that Cyber knife would be helpful here. That approach is really used to treat disease that remains visible, not typically for treating an area that has been resected already.

On the other end of the spectrum, one could consider this stage IV lung cancer that now has no evidence of disease and may go a very long time before showing any further evidence of disease, for which systemic therapy (such as chemo) could be deferred until "needed".

falstaff

They say the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior and this cancer had a very aggressive onset and we shall respond to it that way and hope for the best!! Thank you Dr. West for your helpful input as always!