Vitamin K and EGFR inhibition Concern - 1261619

hain

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to ask a question in regards to Juicing cruciferous vegetables while on an EGFR inhibitor. My mom has Stage IV adenocarcinoma with mets to her rib and vertebrae. She has been on Gefitinib (Iressa) since June 2013 and has been doing great.

Currently she is juicing 500-750mL vegetable juice per day and we are thinking of upping her dose to 1L vegetable juice a day. However, today I stumbled on some information that has discouraged me from pursuing this idea and possibly discouraged me from pursuing any further juicing for that matter. According to a 2011 study, it was hypothesized that Vitamin K (which are found in high concentrations in cruciferous vegetables) could act to counteract the effects of EGFR inhibition, in essence activating EGFR activity.

The article could be found here: http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2011/09/13/1078-043…

If there is truth to this, then it seems like what we have been doing with the juicing regime has been quite counter-productive. Currently, I am very confused as to whether my mom should continue to juice or not? Should she still juice but less quantity? or should she stop juicing vegetables high in Vitamin K altogether?

This is what she is currently juicing:
- brussel sprouts
- red cabbage or green cabbage
- savoy cabbage
- beets
- kale
- cauliflower
- broccoli
- celery
- bok choy
- carrots
- apple
- cucumber
- parsley or cilantro
- squeezed lime or lemon to taste
- slice of ginger root to taste

Another concern is that currently my mom has been having less rashes on her face and body. I read somewhere that there is a positive association between the efficacy of treatment with EGFR inhibitors and skin rashes (i.e. more skin rashes = better response to treatment). I'm not sure if juicing has caused her skin rashes to subside or if its because of the natural course of her disease?

Eagerly looking forward to hearing back from anyone on this matter.

Best, Will

Forums

catdander
Hello Will, From what I read of your link it does appears the research was done to find an association between K and reduction of skin rash. What was found was given internally it may cause EGFR inhibitor to be less effective but an initial study such as this is far from conclusive. What I understood is it's reversible. In the discussion they say it may be best to try a topical cream with K. But juicing with high K foods could explain why your mom's rash is better. Dr. West wrote a post on it here. http://cancergrace.org/cancer-treatments/2008/04/13/menadione-for-egfr-…

A lab study hasn't proven that K will decrease efficacy but too much of anything has a chance becoming harmful.
Such as, the body uses K to clot blood. Since lung cancer has a tendency to cause life threatening clots I'd think too much K could be harmful.

I'll ask a doctor to comment.

All best,
Janine

hain

Thanks Janine for the reply. My main concern is that juicing foods with high vitamin K may interfere with my mom's treatment with the EGFR inhibitor. When she was on Gefitinib for the first 3 months there were lots of rashes on her face and body and her scans showed significant interval improvements in her bone scan and CT scans, and her rib pain was completely gone. However, subsequent 3 month follow up in December 2013 showed no improvement/slight worsening but relatively stable compared to the last scans, but luckily no other mets. She did start to feel pain of the rib on and off and still has episodes of this from day to day.

Currently her rash is much reduced and she is not bothered by dry skin as much. So my main concern is if the EGFR inhibitor drug is losing its efficacy, and if the reason for that is explained by the high K juicing. On the other hand, my mom does feel that juicing is helping her to feel more energized and helping her immune system, so that's why its an issue to stop juicing altogether.

Here's the link to the study I read that stated a correlation between extent of skin rashes and efficacy of EGFR inhibition, and how it can be used as a prognostic factor in patients with NSCLC:

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0055…

I'd be very much interested in hearing from a doctor, pharmacist, or anyone with expertise in this area of interest.

Best regards,
Will

catdander
Right Will, there has been quite a lot written on the subject here as well though it's not at all a 1 to 1 correlation and there are many with the rash who progress and many to remain stable even though the rash has healed. I've asked Dr. Walko our oncology pharmacologist to comment though I imagine it will take her a bit of time to answer since it's Saturday and she's just settling in from a move to a new town.

I just commented on the K as it could also affect clotting which can be a hazard for those with lung cancer. As I understand it's one of the vitamins that can be easy enough to extract from food.
I wonder if she could use other veggies not as high in K. I juice mostly carrots with dashes of garlic, celery lemon juice, so not especially packed with K but most certainly gives a quick burst of energy.

Janine

Dr West

The story of rash and EGFR inhibitors is complex, as Janine indicated, and not remotely as simple as "more rash --> greater benefit". I know of no real evidence that juicing or vitamin K worsens clinical outcomes in patients with cancer (and I am not remotely swayed by the findings of a preclinical study, which I would not presume has almost any correlation with clinical results in real patients), but I also know of no data to show that juicing helps patients with cancer live a day longer. I'm afraid that both of these questions -- whether juicing is beneficial and whether vitamin K diminishes efficacy of Iressa (gefitinib) or other EGFR inhibitors -- are devoid of good clinical evidence to direct any recommendations, to the best of my knowledge. Most oncologists tend to veer toward a recommendation away from any major dietary intervention beyond a balanced diet, since we have more findings of vitamin supplements leading to detrimental effects in cancer than beneficial ones.

Good luck.

-Dr. West

hain

Thank you Dr. West for your thoughts on this matter. Janine, I was thinking the same thing in terms of juicing other veggies that are relatively lower in Vitamin K to be safe. You mentioned that you juice on a daily basis carrots, celery, garlic, and lemon juice, I was just curious as to how much volume of this juice do you consume daily and is it for giving you energy or for building your immune system for any type of disease?

I was thinking of only using the veggies low in vitamin K, and was wondering if you knew or can think of any issues with juicing any of these veggies daily (2-3 servings of 250mL each daily):

- carrots
- beets
- cauliflower
- celery
- apple
- cucumber
- cilantro
- squeezed lime or lemon to taste
- slice of ginger root to taste

Information regarding vitamin K content was based on the patient handout from UNC school of medicine link I found online at: http://www.med.unc.edu/im/files/patient-education-handouts/nutrition-an…

Thanks for all the input so far guys and gals!

Best, Will

JimC

Hi Will,

As Dr. West said, there just isn't enough evidence (either way) about whether any of these foods or high amounts of vitamin K interact with EGFR inhibitors. If you are worried about vitamin K it certainly makes sense, as Janine suggested, to juice the foods you've listed which are relatively low in vitamin K.

My wife's cancer nutritionist advised against taking high doses of vitamin supplements, feeling that it was better to get those vitamins through natural (food) sources.

JimC
Forum moderator

carrigallen

Iressa has sold over 50 million tablets in 80 markets worldwide, so there is a fair amount known about it. My understanding is that the pill absorption is not affected by food. There doesn't seem to be evidence to suggest that cruciferous vegetables interfere with drug absorption or antagonize the drug. Hope this helps.

catdander
Thanks Dr. Creelan, It's been a consistent mantra on Grace that grapefruit is the only food that affects iressa and tarceva and I think now afatinib. All else is fine, juiced or not. If you'd want to play it safe, like Jim said, the veggies you listed above wouldn't have K in amounts that could possibly have an effect like supplemental K.

I don't juice everyday only about weekly. It's very costly so we keep mostly to salads and cooked veggies for that part of our diet. When I juice it's usually carrot, celery and ginger with a squeeze of lemon. I choose those mostly for taste and the type of juicer I have doesn't masticate things like leafy greens. When drank asap I like to think it adds heaps of fresh nutrients not easily absorbed when eaten. One word of caution Will you didn't ask for, I hope you make sure your mom enjoys her eating experience no matter what it is. It's so much more difficult to find enjoyment in life when facing incurable cancer and for some many food is an easy fix.

Janine

catdander
Follow up on Dr. Walko, I corresponded with her and she is indeed out of contact. She said she would reply when she got a moment though had nothing to add to what's been said. I suggested she not respond so not interrupt her adventures.

Janine

hain

Thank you Jim, Dr. Creelan, and Janine for your helpful replies!

This website is truly amazing and so are the people who run it daily. Keep up the great work guys and gal!

God bless,
Will

craig

I've periodically been checking on the status of the research on vitamin K (k1 and k3) for nearly 3 years.

=== Topical Vitamin K3 (menadione) ===

Here is the 2011 article that originally drew my attention to this subject:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21914790
(Although it was retracted in 2013 due to some image alternation, the details of the retraction indicate the other authors had the experiments re-run by an independent 3rd party and given the results were consistent with their previous data results they stand by their original conclusions.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24003062 )

In 2011 I even contacted Roman Perez-Soler to get more details on that pre-clinical research on menadione (vitamin K3). His team's work reported that k3 overcame and abrogated the effect of EGFR inhibitors in vitro, and K3 was about 10 times as potent as K1 (the type in vegetables). K2 (the type in certain in fermented products) did not have the effect. Since then there have been trials on both topical K1 and topical K3.

I have not found any reported results for the phase 1 trial of topical K3, but this is its description:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00656786
and here is the phase 2/3 trial at the Mayo Clinic:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01393821

Today a patient's husband alerted me to this new article, though, indicating that in an ex-vivo lab experiment (i.e., testing on skin samples) systemic absorption of topical menadione (K3) was negligible:
http://www.jaad.org/article/S0190-9622(14)00634-3/abstract
(I don't have access to the full article, just the abstract so I don't have more details.) Given that, he asked his oncologist whether this research might be of use for his wife's rash issues, and the oncologist decided he was willing to let them try a prescription of 0.05% menadione topical lotion. I expect I'll hear how it turned out in a few weeks.

=== Topical Vitamin K1 ===
(continued in next msg due to system comment length limit.)

craig

(. . . continuing . . . )

Before I go on, I should add that if there were any systemic absorption of K3, the 2011 lab experiments suggest it would not be prudent to risk trying K3. I don't know if a single ex-vivo study that the systemic absorption is minimal should be completely trusted on that point, and would prefer clinical trial results with enough people to calculate whether duration of EGFR inhibitor benefit seems unchanged by use of topical K3 on rash-prone areas.

=== Topical Vitamin K1 ===

Back in 2011 I heard of one trial of topical vitamin K1 in Italy which I couldn't find details on, but now (as of a year ago) there was a new review article that offers a summary of the research on topical K1 (& K3) within it so I'll defer to that article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3691090
(Scroll far down to the section just before the Discussion section.)

A quote from that: "To date, there have been four observational studies investigating the topical application of 0.1% vitamin K1 cream, three reactive and one prophylactic. In all three reactive studies good control of EGFR-targeted therapy-induced rash was observed. . . . In the prophylactic study61, the use of vitamin K1 cream (0.1% bid) applied to the face and chest was very effective at reducing the severity of cetuximab-induced skin toxicity . . . ."

Suffice it to say, there seems to be a real effect on EGFR rash when topical K1 is applied topically.

=== Consumption of Vitamin K1 ===

(. . . I'll continue a new message to break up my comments . . . )

craig

(. . . continuing . . . )

=== Consumption of Vitamin K1 ===

Now when you consider whether consuming vitamin K1 could have a negative effect we're probably entering the world of logic and anecdote rather than trials. I don't expect there are many people who would want to offer or try a trial that is testing whether something could do harm.

Logically, the pre-clinical research and trials on vitamin K1 suggest it might not be good to get a lot of it in your system. But that doesn't say what "a lot" is. But we do know that EGFR inhibitors worked wonderfully in their clinical trial, and most people in the trial probably followed a "normal" diet, including probably a "normal" level of vitamin K1 from things like dark green leafy veggies, broccoli, cucumber, even tea leaves if they consume the leaves. (It's not soluble in water, so if tea leaves are filtered out so it the K1, or so I've read right or wrong.)

Based on that logic, a normal level of K1 in ones' diet doesn't seem likely to be a concern, at least not compared to the normal range of duration for EGFR inhibitors, and maybe not for types of resistance that aren't due to EGFR variants.

Anecdotally, though, I've know of two ALK/ROS1 people who reported a transient return of a telltale cancer symptom after eating a large amount of broccoli - a K1-rich food. I was one of them (about 10x a normal amount of K1 in one bowl, and resulting in a return of fluid-in-lung production for a few hours), but I'll spare you the details (and the connection between EGFR stimulation and ALK or ROS1-driven cancer) since unsubstantiated, un-validated anecdotes aren't reliable, and possibly caused by something different than assumed. But I will say that since then (2011) I've limited my K1 dietary intake (and broccoli in particular) to at most a normal amount and usually less, and the symptom has not returned since (not that that proves anything).

Best hopes,

Craig in PA