Significance of breath odor in months following lung cancer treatment - 1273094

alex2015

Family member was diagnosed with pleomorphic sarcomatoid carcinoma in May 2015. Upper right lobectomy done in July. Tumor was 11 cm. There was invasion of the pleura and blood vessels - tumor was sitting on ribs. Live and brain scans were clear - no evidence of any other active tumors.

Surgery was considered a great success. Chemo started in August - he was able to tolerate 3 of the 4 recommended treatments over the next three months. This was followed by 7 weeks of radiation.

He is home and doing pretty well. First upper body scan a few weeks ago was clear. He has, however, developed an unusual breath odor and this is concerning.

I am hesitant to raise this question with the oncologist as they already think I am overanxious. I would appreciate any feedback - I am concerned this is not a good sign.

Forums

JimC

Hi Alex,

Welcome to GRACE, and congratulations to your family member on the successful surgery and clear scan. Although most bad breath issues originate in the mouth, the lungs can also be a source of it, whether due to infection or even lung cancer.

I don't think you should ever be hesitant to report a new symptom to his oncologist, but perhaps a visit to his dentist may reveal the cause. Although the clear scan is a good sign that his cancer has not recurred, if the problem doesn't seem to originate in the mouth it would be good to report it to his pulmonologist or oncologist.

Good luck in tracking down the source and resolving this problem.

JimC
Forum moderator