To sleep or not to sleep,fatigue is the question - 1253454

gn21

I'm curious about the dimensions of fatigue. I have just started chemo again, and am on a 21 day cycle of alimta.

No side effects other than the fatigue.

Day 5/6 post chemo it hits. I sleep 10 or 11 hours at night. On top of that I am likely to have another 2 x 2 hour naps during the day. I actually like the drowsiness and given that I am no longer in paid employment I can get away with being one of the 7 dwarfs! It normally lasts about 3 days.

I could fight against it but am not particulary inclined to do so.

But I am curious as to whether this is within the 'normal' boundaries, and whether I should be fighting against it a bit more.

Gail

Forums

catdander
Hi Gail, good to hear your side effects are fatigue only and you're able to rest as needed. From what I've gathered form reading others' posts about alimta and fatigue it is right on target to hit the wall several days out. It's always good to be able to let the side effect of fatigue to have its way as long as there's no lasting problems.
Since I didn't find the specific answer to your question but only bits and pieces I've not added a link but I think you'll find you're experience quite common and your rest the best medicine if you read a few posts from former members' inquires.

On a personal note I remember early on when D was just past thoracotomy and in the throws of chemo/radiation I coaxed him out the door with the dogs in tow, just to the parking lot behind our house. The one and only time I've ever, in 13 years, seen a rabbit on the block, jumped out in front of our dogs and of course the dogs were off. D spun around to chase, tripped over his legs, and fell busting open his head and bruising and scraping his arm and shoulder near the incision. That was the last time I drug him out for some exercise.

It never hurts to check in with your doctors either.

Take good care,
Janine

double trouble

Gail, I'm glad you brought this up, and I hope it generates some discussion. I've wondered how much sleep is too much. I sleep about 12 hours each night, too much in my opinion, and could take naps as well. I don't think this is a side effect of Xalkori, like yours is of Alimta. I think maybe the Xalkori is affecting my liver and that there might be an accumulation of the other drugs I'm on. Something I plan on discussing with my onc, or with palliative care. But the question remains... How much is too much? It can be scary for us because we are, I'm sure I can also speak for you here, aware that sleeping more is one of the hallmarks of deterioration in cancer, so it is concerning.

Debra

aunttootsie001

I have mild to medium fatigue but I have trouble sleeping and hate to take something every night as then if I don't take it I can't sleep at all. Is that weird? Anyway I'm wondering how you Ladies are feeling the last couple Days? Better I hope! I think of you Debra and Kate with everything the two of you have going on! Wish I had more reassuring words!

Dr West

This isn't really particularly well studied. Sleeping more for a few days after chemo isn't unusual, and our focus has been more on the dangerous and irreversible side effects. I think patients and caregivers are likely to have a more valuable perspective.

-Dr. West

certain spring

I'm with Gail - I don't fear sleep, but assume the body is telling me what it needs. I slept massively during chemo - including falling asleep in the afternoon, which was most uncharacteristic - but I'd also had WBR so I am not sure how much the different treatments were individually responsible. My sense was that the WBR was the bigger contributor.
What I found upsetting was not being able to read/concentrate. Again, I think that was the WBR rather than the chemo, and it got better after a while.
I have always slept well since dx except when on steroids. I find it a fantastic escape from cancer-related worries. Sometimes (now for example) the noise of the stent wakes me up - like having a small gerbil yodelling in one's ear.

certain spring

Something that's just occurred to me - and which might be relevant to Debra - is that I have to sleep after any kind of exertion. I assume this is to do with the state of my lung (he whole of my left lower lobe is blocked off, and the entrance to one of the other lobes gets periodically furred up). I try to swim twice a week, and if I swim at 11am, I am falling asleep by about 1pm and have to go to bed for half an hour.

cards7up

I had carbo/alimta and had extreme fatigue. I was 56 at time of treatment and by my third tx, I couldn't stay awake if I tried. Not that I slept any length of time, like 4-5 hours straight, just falling off anytime. This lasted almost up until my next chemo. It took a month after completion before I could stay awake all day.
So that fatigue is real with Alimta. There are some that have used Ritalin to help with the fatigue.
Take care, Judy

aunttootsie001

I'm wishing I had your problem! I have trouble Sleeping and Now that I'm back on Xalkori I have to be up by a certain time every morning and can't go to bed before a certain time at night. I try not to lay down for at least an hour after taking my meds. At night. So there is no going to bed too early! I have never been a nap person so it's really something if I nap during the Day! Enjoy it Ladies! I agree it is pretty normal after Chemo. That's the only time or after taking a Nausea pill the only time I can Nap! Lorrie!

Jazz

Gail, Could the pain meds be partially to blame for your drowsiness? My pain is finally controlled with MS Contin + Ibuprofen 600 twice a day, but I find myself nodding off in the afternoon if I so much as sit on the sofa! I've never experienced this, and while I can't say I'm actually tired, my body seems to think so. I generally feel refreshed after the snooze, although I've never been a napper either.

If you've overdone on Day 3 due to dexa, you might be wiped out on Days 4 & 5. Sort of like the after effects of an all-night rave... but I digress.

Snooze on, Sleepy! The rest of us dwarves won't tell :)

gn21

Thanks Jazz and you're right. Sometimes I forget I am taking OxyContin and that may be affecting my sleep patterns. Although towards the end of the 3 week chemo cycle I did improve a fair bit. It seems to go first few days ok, days 4/5/6 sleep and pain, and then slowly swing back up a bit. Until, as we know, the cycle starts again.

And maybe we could all adopt a dwarf name - although at least for the moment I want to be sleepy.

Who would the rest of you like to be?

Gail

Jazz

If we're going with Disney's Snow White, I'll be...you guessed it - Dopey! I too am napping during the day now. I believe it has to do with breakthrough pain which interrupts my nighttime sleep. I may have to sort out the dosing of pain meds. I find that Percocet (Oxy+acetaminophen) makes me drowsier than MSContin, and doesn't last as long. I've been taking it at night with the MS, as ibuprofen hurts my stomach without food and it's the only time I can take it (percocet) without feeling nauseous.

Hope things are stabilizing for you.

Jazz

gn21

Please aunttoosie001 don't feel like that. I am sorry if it all sounded exclusive. There have been a couple of sites I have participated in that made me feel like that and it's the last thing I, and I'm sure anyone else, wants to do here! Some sites are very exclusive and can make people feel very unwelcome and I'm sorry if that is how I made you feel here. Particulary as I reckon that is the best of all sites, and the one I use the most whilst trying to hold me nerve!

I also feel pretty dumb some days as well. Mind you I blame the iPad for the fact I can't copy and paste links etc - I'm sure it's harder on the iPad that on a computer and I just haven't mastered the art. And that's apart from the fact that I can still feel really dumb about cancer. There is so much to know, and as science is proving, it is so individualistic. One of the many reasons why this site is so invaluable.

Again, sorry

Gail

aunttootsie001

Thank You Gail! I was just having one of those Days I guess! Some people might say I'm addicted to this site and Inspire. Always looking for good News and since I've had so many of you giving me not only information but Support so I've been trying to do the same thing. I'm not very knowledgable but do what I can! Thanks again!

catdander
Aunt Tootsie, Lorrie, It's good to hear you say that. It doesn't always have to be knowledge past between us on Grace. We all need support and understanding. It's just another thing that makes Grace such a comfort to so many. Thanks for the support you offer, the knowledge is coming along just as it does for us all. I must admit it seems the more I read and learn the more I understand how little I know.
Always hopeful,
Janine