spine surgery options for progression at previously radiated met/vertebra? - 1293375

schmeggs

Hi -- does anyone here have any info/experience with surgical options for treating/removing a spine met/progression? I have progression from a previously radiated vertebra and am told re-radiating won't hold. I have an appt with a neurosurgeon at Yale's Spine Center on 10/26 but am on edge not knowing what to expect or if this is treatable (safely/effectively). I have been on Tagrisso for 4 months after Tarceva and feel good other than chronic back pain (I also had radiation and a kyphoplasty to another vertebra which is still painful). NSCLC stage IV...May 2016.
Thank you!

Forums

JimC

Hi schmeggs,

As you know from your previous khyphoplasty, there are situations in which surgery can be performed to alleviate the pain from metastases to the spine. Dr. West discusses the subject in this post. Of course, every situation is different, so the feasibility of surgery for your previously radiated spine metastasis is a question for your neurosurgeon.

I hope that you have a productive consultation which leads to an intervention which will lessen (or better yet, eliminate!) your pain.

JimC
Forum moderator