Stage IV NSCLC adeno Blood Clots in Lungs - 1269061

djblum

My husband diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, adenocarcinoma and plural effusion 1/20/14. Cancer in left lung. Had successful VATS pleurodesis and biopsy 2/11/14. No treatable mutations, TP53 and APC. 1st line chemo began 4/10/14 with 4 infusions of Carboplatin, Alimta, Avastin and stable. Maintenance Chemo of Avastin, 5 infusions until diagnosed with deep venous thrombosis in right innominate vein extends into expanded right external jugular vein. Began daily injections of Fragmin 18,000 units. Maintenance chemo of Alimta, 6 infusions until progression 2/26/15. Began coughing up teaspoon of blood daily 3/9/15. While waiting 6 weeks to qualify for trial found out blood clots in right lung and shortness of breath. D-Dimer tests ordered and 3/18/15 were 1940. Switched from Fragmin to Xarelto. 3/25/15 D-Dimer up to 4470. Switched from Xarelto to 2 shots daily of Fragmin 12,500 until insurance approves Arixtra. 3/25/15 began a Phase 1b Dose Escalation Study of Vantictumab (OMP-18R5) in Combination with Docetaxel in Patients with Previously treated Recurrent or Advanced NSCLC. 3/25/15 put on oxygen due to SOB. Coughing up blood twice a day now.

We currently see our oncologist and a Hemotologist. Should we also see a Pulmonologist? Can one expect shortness of breath to improve when correct blood thinner is prescribed? Will clots ever leave lung? Is coughing up blood part of the lung cancer, blood clots, or both? When should we be concerned with the coughing up of blood?

Thank for your response, Donna

Forums

JimC

Welcome to GRACE. I am sorry to hear of these symptoms your husband has been experiencing. Shortness of breath and coughing up blood can be caused by either or both the cancer and pulmonary blood clots. I don't see a problem with consulting a pulmonologist, although if there is an issue your oncologist would probably have recommended you do so.

If the shortness of breath is caused mainly by the blood clots and a blood thinner successfully clears them up, you could expect an improvement in breathing.

JimC
Forum moderator