sutent advanced cc rcc - 1288513

csel

Rcc cc kidney cancer right kidney removed also had vein resection and it has spread to lungs. I am just looking for up to date research on this cancer and its treatment. This is brand new to my husband and I am advocating for him. sutent is first drug they advise, if approved he will start asap. this all has happened so fast.

Forums

JimC

Hi csel,

Welcome to GRACE. I am sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis, and I understand just how tough it is to take it all in, but your husband is fortunate to have you to help him.

Sutent (sunitinib) is the standard treatment for kidney cancer, and is usually recommended as initial ("first-line") treatment. That recommendation seems to have been validated in a recent trial discussed here, which found that better results were obtained by starting with Sutent, followed by everolimus, as opposed to using these agents in the reverse order.

At the bottom of that page, you'll find links to discussions of other therapies, and to access the most recent topics, many of which deal with the early results for immunotherapy drugs in kidney cancer (which have been encouraging), just click on "Focused Cancer Info" in the green bar just below the search box. That will take you to the most recent topics, and below the last topic on the page you'll find a link to go to the next newest set of posts.

As you read through these topics, please let us know if you have any questions. Hoping for good results and good tolerability as your husband begins Sutent.

JimC
Forum moderator

csel

Thank you I will look around. Is there a time when people do trials? Do you get through first line of treatment then when it starts to not work go into trials? is it generally when nothing else works? Sorry I am just trying to wrap my brain around this horrific monster and how to crush it for him. The Dr. Oncologist we have we like but it is nice to talk to others.Thank You? Are there support groups for caretakers and patients? This happened so fast.

JimC

Hi csel,

Patients may enroll in trials at any point, including first-line therapy, although many patients do so after their initial regimen. At times, a trial may offer and enhancement (e.g., an additional drug) to a standard therapy, and that may lead a patient to choose such a trial as first-line therapy. There are also drugs which have shown good results but have not yet been approved, making a trial the only way to obtain that drug.

There should be a support group in your area; I would expect that a search for "kidney cancer support group [your city]" should produce results. There are also online resources, and you can always use GRACE as a place to discuss your situation.

JimC
Forum moderator