Tarceva and appetite - 1256674

tonk

Hello,
I decided to join this forum because I've found many useful tips here. Year ago my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 NSLC, she has been on chemo /gemcitabine and ciplatin/ and has started taking Tarceva /150mg/ about six months ago. Tarceva is working fine - so far - no metastasis, and her tumor which is about 20mm has started to shrink which is shown on every next CT scan.
So far so good but she has no appetite and eats very small meals, she's on diet too - she doesn't eat meat - only fish but rarely. She is now also hyper sensitive to smells which might be related to her appetite, but We're unsure if this is due to Tarceva or it's a post chemotherapy effect. She also has stomach pains but we were able to deal with that, as you may know proton pump inhibitors are not recommended when taking Tarceva so we had to find another way. Our solution was Slippery Elm Bark produced by Nature's way - it has almost instant effect if you have acids or stomach pains. Due to her not eating much and probably her diet she feels very weak and sometimes experience dizziness - this is not related to the cancer as the CT scans proved there's is no spread.
I would like to ask you dear people for your advice - how do you deal with appetite loss /if you have any/ and have you ever experienced hyper sensitivity to smells?

Forums

JimC

Hi tonk,

Chemo often causes changes in taste (with cisplatin being a common cause), and so can Tarceva, which can also cause loss of appetite. You might want to review these posts, which indicate that the problem does tend to diminish, and that an appetite stimulant can help:

http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php?topic=11387.0
http://cancergrace.org/forums/index.php?topic=5464.0

I hope these side effects fade soon.

JimC
Forum moderator

sherrys

When my father was on Tarceva, loss of appetite was a major problem for him. He was 80 when he started taking it. His dr. advised him to drink Ensure (or something similar). It helped a lot. As he got sicker a few years later, his dr. added ritalin. It did help his appetite and he ate more.

Although I do have a cute story about his appetite. My father was absolutely convinced that the frozen meals he ate when he lived alone were what kept his weight on. He told the doctor I fed him "too much chicken and salad" and that's why he was losing weight. He couldn't be convinced by anyone that it had anything to do with his illness progressing. So, in his last few months he ate nothing but frozen meals. It was hard to cook for the family then hand him a frozen dinner, but that's what he wanted.

tonk

Thank you people! I'll try to find out more about the products mentioned. My mother feels weak sometimes which is a side effect of Tarceva I believe, but we're having progress and that's what's important. I believe we can go through this, we should be happy about the results so far. The side effects - we will try to find a cure for all of them. I believe that without the positive attitude you can't build positive progress.
God bless you.

catdander
Welcome tonk,

My husband has maintained a diminished appetite since before diagnosis. First from the cancer itself and pain related to it but he's been off treatment for 10 months and has no evidence of disease (for which we feel we've won a lottery).

He was given magace, an appetite stimulant from the very beginning and it's helped tremendously including while taking tarceva. There are side effects that cause a certain population to steer clear of this med not sure what but can find it in the post Jim provided and of course doc and pharm would note also.

Not sure why he continues to have such a lack of appetite except he's always eaten very little and been very thin so I can imagine the emotional trauma easily makes him adverse to eating.

For whatever reason he cant' eat, we are still working with magace, off and on and it's still working well for him.
Let me second what Sherry said about Ensure. D started drinking them right after dx and I still buy them for times when his appetite turns off. And frozen lasagna has a place in our house too. :)
I hope your mom continues to do well on tarceva.

Janine
forum moderator

double trouble

I will add to the applause for Ensure. I tried the other brands and they all taste like vitamins. Ensure is the only one I like. They have several flavors, and now there is a Clear Ensure that is like fruit juice. I've tried the apple and it's not bad. Sometimes you just don't want a shake.

My appetite has been turned on by some meds, off by others, and when it is pretty normal I have that heightened sense of smell/taste too.

I stick to mostly fruits and veggies, some grains like kinoa and bulgar wheat, and I need more protein but I'm a little turned off by meats, beans and eggs. Used to love them all but having trouble digesting them now.

I also find that the most simply prepared foods are the best for me. The more fussy, the less I seem to like it.

Also, you might consider a protein powder in smoothies or juices. It does have a flavor all its own so you probably either like it or you don't, but I have lived on smoothies at times. My favorite, ginger peach!

Good luck, and I wouldn't worry too much. Let him eat what he likes as much as he likes. That's pretty much the best we can do with cancer and the treatments we go through to treat it.

Debra

catdander
I just wanted to add to Debra's note about eating whatever is wanted or palatable, everything is so turned on its head when one is dealing with cancer.
Another note about ensure options. D found the vanilla to his liking. For protein, vitamins, and calories I buy ensure "plus" because it has more calories, 350 as opposed to 250, i think. I had a difficult time putting together a smoothie that came close which is when we changed from homemade to ensure.

Tonk, thanks for the slippery elm bark suggestion, since menopause I've had a heck of a time with heartburn.

laya d.

My Mom really really lost her appetite while on Tarceva. . .and when she did eat, she mostly craved healthy stuff (fruits, salads with fresh lemon juice dressing, etc.). Her portion sizes also changed (became a lot smaller - - and she was not a big eater to begin with). So, like others here have reported, she also lost weight while on Tarceva. But, after trying many different things (Megace, etc.), we eventually gave in to it and just made sure that she had at least one ensure a day on top of the things that she was eating.

Good luck!

Laya

gn21

I was on tarceva for about 18 months as part of a clinical trial, and then a further 6 months solo. I lost over 20ks during that time, going from 63k to 42k. I also had the associated troubles of low energy and fainting. The thought of food was horrible and what I did eat tasted like dust. Eventually I just accepted I wasn't going to eat much and added a milk shake a day to my diet. Some days that was all I had. I found being told to eat was just annoying - I wasn't not eating to be difficult, I just couldn't face it. Luckily my husband knows me well, and just let me sort it out in my own way and time, whilst being supportive throughout.

I am now on alimta maintenance and am 48k. I actually don't want to go back to my old weight as I threw all those clothes out!

I got a really good run with tarceva, despite the occasionally devasting side effects, and I hope your mum also gets great benefit from it

Gail

tonk

Thanks again people. A whole lot of tips here! I'll try what works best with my mother. As I said Tarceva works pretty good so far. Her lungs are clear and aired, there's just this little tumor - about 20mm that keeps shrinking. The chemo has had little to no effect on her, after starting Tarceva things improved significaly /Thank God/ - the tumor started to shrink, and there are no neoplastic processes. I read a lot about anything that can help, we use a lot of herbs too, but try to avoid these that might interact with Tarceva - like St John's wort.
I'd like to suggest some of the herbs we use:
-Oldenlandia diffusa - concentrated powder /I buy it from ebay/

-AHCC - Japan made - today it's manufactured by many brands but it's discovered by Amino up Chemicals and they've put a lot of R&D to it http://www.aminoup.co.jp/e/

-Also Sambucus ebulus European Dwarf Elder - this one is harvested in the fall - we're talking about the fruits here, pressed fruits to make juice /if you make this you have to make sure there are no any seeds left in the juice - they're toxic/ you can put the juice in jars and sterilize. Not much evidence on how effective it is, but it's a very old herb used to treat wide variety of disorders. If you don't have Sambucus ebulus you could try to find Sambucus nigra - which has similar properties.

I'll try to put more into that list later.

Thanks again everybody.
God bless.