I'm reading on here that sometimes waiting is the best treatment. But what defines when you should no longer wait?
My mom's history:
In July of 2013, an abnormality was spotted in a chest xray, after pnuemonia. In a PETscan, they confirmed a small nodule in her right lung that was definitely cancer, and then there were a lot of "little sparkles" throughout both lungs. She had a biopsy of the nodule and it was confirmed to be adenocarcinoma. Mom switched her care to Roswell Park, had another biopsy of the left lung where the ground glass "sparkles" were, (which came back inconclusive/negative). In October 2013, she had 2 wedge resections of her upper and lower right lobes (removed 3 nodules, 1 with a tiny margin) and they checked out her lymph nodes in the chest (one was calcified, but none were cancerous). The surgeon said her kind of adenocarcinoma is an old subset they no longer use (BAC) which is a multifocal adenocarcinoma with limpidic features. They staged her at IIb and EGFR positive. She went thru 4 rounds of chemo (Cisplatin/Alitma), ending in Feb 2014. .All was quiet for a while and every 3 months we were told NED. Back in October 2015, the oncologist said there was an area they were watching in right lung and it was tiny. He didn't really give us too much more, just that if it grows they will biopsy it. In February 2016, he said there was very little change and extended the next appt to 5 months. Went back this month and were informed of 3 nodules. One is 8 mm, one is 9 mm and one is 5 mm. All slowly changing. All have grown since October (anywhere from 1-3mm from what I gathered from seeing the scans.
The plan is, in 2 months she goes for a PET scan, to confirm and figure which nodule is good to biopsy and they will retest it for genetic mutations. They have talked about Tarceva for treatment but nothing is definite.
Its small and slow growing, but treat or wait?