Article and Video CATEGORIES

Cancer Journey

Search By

Chief of Hematology/Oncology and Medical Director at Memorial Cancer Institute, and Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine at Florida International University

Chief of Hematology/Oncology
Medical Director of Memorial Cancer Institute

Lung Cancer Video Library - Spanish Language: Video #35 Treatment Options for Acquired Resistance to EGFR TKIs: T790M-Positive Disease
Wed, 02/15/2017 - 11:20
Author
Luis Raez, MD FACP FCCP, Faculty, Board Member
 

Opciones de tratamiento para la resistencia adquirida a los inhibidores de tirosinas cinasa del receptor del factor de crecimiento epidérmico (EGFR): enfermedad positiva en T790M

 Treatment options for acquired resistance to tyrosine kinase inhibitor of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR): T790 positive disease. 

 Dr. Luis Raez, MD FACP FCCP

Chief of Hematology/Oncology and Medical Director, Memorial Cancer Institute,
Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine, Florida International University

 

Spanish TRANSCRIPT

Hablando de resistencia en el caso de los receptores de EGFR, hay una mutación nueva que aparece llamada T790M. Es la más popular y se calcula que a veces hasta en el 60% de los pacientes que están en inhibidores de la tirosina cinasa, van a desarrollar mutaciones resistentes en T790M y hay otro 40% con otras etiologías.

Es importante documentar que el paciente tiene esta mutación nueva 790 porque ya tenemos un tratamiento específico, que es el fármaco osimertinib que ya está disponible en Estados Unidos y Europa y próximamente en todo el mundo que es otro inhibidor de la tirosina cinasa. Es un fármaco bien tolerado, no es muy tóxico, se parece a otros inhibidores de la tirosina cinasa. Incluso les diría que es menos tóxica en a lo que se refiere a piel y sistema gastrointestinal.

Lo importante es diagnosticarlo porque si uno no puede probar que el tumor ha hecho una mutación 790, no podemos darle el fármaco. Este fármaco está aprobado específicamente para pacientes que tienen esta mutación. Así que yo creo que es importante que cuando en un paciente falla un inhibidor de la tirosina cinasa, que se le haga una nueva biopsia, una biopsia líquida o una muestra de orina para documentar que el paciente haya hecho una resistencia y que se le haya encontrado la mutación 790 que usualmente no está al comienzo y así poder cambiar la terapia.


 

 

English TRANSCRIPT

Talking about resistance in the EGFR receptor, there is a new mutation called T790M. It’s by far the most popular and around 60% that are currently in tyrosine kinase inhibitor, will develop resistant mutations to T790M, the other 40% will have other etiologies.

It is of great priority to document that the patient has this new 790 mutation, because we already have a new specific treatment. This is the drug osimertinib, a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, already available in United Stated and in Europe, and in the near future worldwide. I would even say that this drug is less toxic in the skin and in the gastrointestinal tract.

The important here is the diagnosis because if one cannot prove that the tumor has made a 790 mutation, then we cannot give him the drug. This drug is approved specifically for patients with this mutation. So, I think, it’s very important that when a patient fails with the tyrosine kinase inhibitor, we should make a new biopsy, a liquid biopsy or an urine test to document that the patient has developed resistance and that he has the 790 mutation which is usually not developed in the beginning. This way, we will be able to change therapy.

Video Language

Next Previous link

Previous PostNext Post

Related Content

Forum Discussions

Hi Sean,


Welcome to Grace. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I can only imagine your worry about metastases and I hope that's not the case.
Liver hemangiomas are thought...

n3p, Hi and welcome to Grace. I'm sorry you have to check for new nodules. It does sound like your onc has good reason not to be alarmed that you have...

Thanks for the thoughtful response, I really appreciate that! All your points make sense. I will check back in later.

Please do check back in. It looks like I forgot to paste in links for that article. I'm going back to edit in the links.

Hi blp2020, 


Welcome to Grace. I'm sorry you're having trouble. It would be very extremely rare to find a pancoast tumor in person your age. They are normally found in older...

Hi Sel87, Welcome to Grace.  I'm so terribly sorry that your mother is going through this.  I'm going to assume that there are no brain mets found, so let me know...

Recent Comments

JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Hi Sean,
Welcome to Grace. …
By JanineT Forum … on Thu, 02/02/2023 - 14:57
Thank you Janine I…
By Cari on Tue, 01/31/2023 - 19:23
There are a lot of good…
By Cari on Tue, 01/31/2023 - 14:47
Scans
By Cari on Tue, 01/31/2023 - 12:41