CBD oil as adjunct to Tarceva? - 1293443

bizmonq

I have been on Tarceva since June 2016 and recently a new growing node has been noted in my last 2 CT scans. Per my signature below I am currently taking 125mg Tarceva daily with the primary side effect being moderate rash on my head and upper torso.

It has been suggested to me that CBD oil may be an adjunct therapy worth considering. Are there any studies available to show what the benefits may be?

Forums

catdander
Hi bizmonq,

Welcome to Grace. I'm sorry you're experiencing new growth. As much as I'd like to say CBD oil is a good adjunct to anti cancer treatment there's no data suggesting it. There's a lot of hype about this type of thing with anecdotal stories about people who have used something as simple as CBD oil with other treatments and their cancer has responded...but to what. If it were as easy as cbd oil we'd all know and use it. But it probably wouldn't hurt either but talk to your onc first.

What has been done with success is focal/local treatment like radiation to one or 2 spots of progression then continue with tarceva for quite a while. It's believed that the progressing spots have a resistance to tarceva while the rest of the cancer is still responding well, getting rid of the resistant spots allows you to continue to use tarceva.

Too, when it's certain tarceva no longer works and there are many places or progression a test for the T790M mutation is taken. If there is the mutation there is a drug, tagrisso used that works. Get as much out of every treatment as possible before moving on.

I hope your do well moving forward.
All best,
Janine

bizmonq

Thank you Janine, very helpful information and wise advice. Like you say "Get as much out of every treatment as possible before moving on" sounds like wise advice!