Rib/back pain intermittent - 1293439

jean53

Hello
I have STAGE IV nsclc adenocarcinoma, KRAS type limited to my lungs
I was diagnosed 2 years ago and had a left pneumonectomy for extensive cancer
Several nodules noted on right - largest 6mm. I had 4 adjuvant chemo rounds carboplatin and alimta

I have felt great and had no subsequent treatment

My 8/26 CT SCAN showed growth of largest nodule in prior 3 months to 11-13mm
Will eventually get SBRT Radiation

I have had sudden unexpected intermittent unusual back pain - on the right side most notably in evening - yawning, coughing or moving certain ways takes my breath away
I've slept fine

I did recently take up knitting and have been sitting on a soft couch for several hours at a time

It's been a few days but I'm nervous

Could this be rib or diaphragm metastasis?
Should I call my oncologist?

Thank you
Jean

Forums

catdander
Hi Jean,

Welcome to Grace. I'm sorry it took so long to reply. I actually did but don't know what happened. Maybe i forgot to hit send. I'm sorry you're having new pains. Like you I have some new hobbies that cause me to sit long periods of time that sometimes cause the nerves in my neck to act up. It could certainly be knitting. A change from 11 to 13 mm is very small, it may be the way scan pictures are cut and not growth at all so that may not be cancer or need for treatment.

We can't tell someone what they should do but it's always appropriate to contact your oncologist with questions or worries you have. While new pains could be cancer it's probably more possible your new activity of sitting on a cushy couch and knitting 1 and pearling 2 is your culprit :) But since you've got a past cancer they may want to take a look sooner than later.

I hope you've got no new growth but new gloves.
All best,
Janine

PS edit: FYIW, I've have neck issues all my life. As the years go by it's become so easy to get new and weird pains up and down my arms, neck and back. I should do more yoga (bikram), it helps. My husband who was always active and fit got so beaten up by his cancer. So often while on treatment it seemed he had progression even several oncs thought so, but not. I can't imagine the worry y'all go through. Rock on.

jean53

Thank you for your reply. I'm going to take and wait and watch approach and limit my sitting to
Former straight back chairs. Last night my sciatic pain in right butt and down right leg kicked in so I'm thinking it's my back
I have been thinking of yoga or something to engage my upper body
I used to play tennis and have given that up
Again thank you!
Jean

catdander
Jean,

I had a thought about letting your onc know. On the one hand if this is recurrence there might not be a reason to know sooner than latter because knowing sooner may just cause stress now rather than later. However if there are bone mets sooner may allow a chance to mitigate fractures by using radiation on structurally sensitive areas such as spine and hip. This could be the difference between remaining mobile and getting into trouble.

I don't want to alarm but want to give you important things to think about.
Please keep us posted and know I'm going to assume the best.

Janine

jean53

Hello Janine
My oncologists office got me in right away for a lung X-ray and X-rays of my ribs. Nothing abnormal was found so we're assuming it's a muscle strain or pull
I'm trying heat and putting a pillow behind my back when sitting
They asked me to call in a week if it's still painful.

Great relief to get clear X-rays!!

Thank you Janine

Sincerely
Jean