Change = positive thing? - 1268954

dtkb328

My mom was diagnosed with stage 4 NSCLC in January. This was terribly sad news, as we thought that she was in partial remission and had been originally diagnosed as stage 3a. A recent pet scan confirmed that the cancer is now in her adrenal gland and hip bone. She is on Avanstin, taxol and another chemo and is doing well managing side effects. A recent ct scan showed that the mass in her adrenal gland was shrinking. When my parents said that was good news, her dr replied, "what's the difference?" I was shocked at hearing this. My family is choosing to think that it is still good news, she's responding well to the treatment. I guess I am still trying to find the hope and positivity with my mom's disease, while dealing with the inevitable.

Forums

catdander
Oh my gosh what a terrible thing to say no matter who you are or to whom you are speaking. What's the difference?! An oncologist? I'm so sorry. Is it possible that he/she was misunderstood? That doesn't even sound like bad bedside manner but more like the person doesn't believe in extending and improving quality of life. I don't know where you are but there's usually a way to change doctors if your parents need to. I include your dad's needs here because I know I'd have to have a say in an attitude like that. If your parents don't seem particularly phased by it I guess moving on and celebrating the EXCELLENT news is in order.

Well this sounds like good news to me too and I hope it continues. Shrinkage is usually taken as really good news, stable disease is also really good news.

I wonder if your mom is taking or even able to take zometa or xgeva for her bone mets. If her teeth/jaw are in good condition they've both been proven to lessen adverse events in bone mets. Since the hip bares much of the weight it's worth reading about, http://cancergrace.org/cancer-treatments/2010/11/29/xgeva-denosumab-for…

Maintaining as much hope and positivity can be challenging especially if you're not in her everyday life. Spend time making and remembering the good things with your parents.

All best,
Janine