Non Small Cell Lung Cancer with EGFR inhibitors - 1292406

angara

Greetings,

My Mom aged 77 has been diagnosed with adeno-carcinoma stage IV (Non-Small cell lung cancer) in April 2017. She was able to walk and talk and was able t do all her basic things. She had extensive mets in brain, bones, lung and adenoids.

later after two months in June, they did a spinal tap indicated the cancer cell in the spine fluid and was diagnosed with lepto meningeal metastases. Based on her EGFR mutation, she was given tarceva 100mg and it worked beautifully reducing mets in the brain and after 6 weeks it stopped working and she was unable to breathe properly and had a lot of inflammation in lung due to mets reemerging. She was then switched to tagrisso 80mg she is taking that on a daily basis and she is not recognizing us, walking or moving I am not able to understand is the medication working or the disease progressing.

It has been very stressful seeing her struggle and now she is not at all responding or recognizing us and not even able to get up from the bed. Can anyone of you help me advise or share is this the progression of disease? is the medication not working? am I loosing her? is there anything I can do to save her is she nearing her end of life.... Please help I am banking on someone to help me.

I apologize for any typos i am stressed and seek help... pleasee..... give me some suggestions.

God Bless.. Angara

Forums

catdander
Hi Angara,

I'm so sorry your mom has lepto meningeal metastases. It's difficult at best to treat. I don't know if she is nearing death but it does sound like it's possible. Many oncologists have found "pulse dosing" tarceva and now pulsed tagrisso to be effective for some with lepto and EGFR mutation and for tagrisso T790M. Dr. Weiss talks about one of his early uses of this method of treating lepto, http://cancergrace.org/lung/tag/pulsed-tarceva/

All best,
Janine