Pedalon (Ann) in Albuquerque - 1247121

Jazz

Hello GRACE friends and faculty,

I believe Ann had planned to post tonight, but as I don't see an update, I thought I might share some news with you (with her permission). Ann was diagnosed with Leptomeningeal Carcinomatosis on July 31, the same day she was accepted into the Clovis trial in Denver. She was called back to Univ of New Mexico in order to start radiation (to her cervical spine) right away. She's been on steroids as well and feels better, but informs me she grows weaker each day.

Ann has been described as " A force of nature" by Dr. Camidge, and it's amazing that just this past March, her Free to Breathe bike event raised $42,000 to fight this hateful disease. I am humbled by such passion, drive, and generosity of spirit, and am distraught. It follows so closely on the heels of losing others we have grown close to on GRACE.

Not sure when she will have the opportunity to log on, but of GRACE she says, "those beautiful people have kept me strong for my loved ones". Please send some of your powerful good vibes her way...

Jazz

Forums

primarymark

Sorry, there was a forum glitch and a reply was lost on this topic. Here it is.

certain spring said:

Sending love to Ann. Hope she knows how much we all care about her and wish we could protect her.

blue skies

Thank you, Jazz. It's so important to know how our GRACE heroes are doing, especially when they hit a rough patch. Please let her know that I hope she starts to feel much better and can return to the trial soon.

We are all pulling for her!

double trouble

I continue to be so inspired by Ann, who is one of my heroes here at Grace. I will be thinking of you Ann, and sending my love and admiration.
Debra

Dr West

I'm very saddened to hear this, but this doesn't diminish her wonderful tenacity, generosity with her kindness and experience, or all of the good she has done for this and larger lung cancer community. I know I'm only one of her many, many fans pulling for her.

-Dr. West

Jazz

I just wanted to clarify that although Ann was accepted to the Clovis trial, just as quickly she was disqualified due to the LMC dx, which typically disqualifies anyone from further studies. As far as I know, she is only receiving palliative radiation and steroids at this time.

Jazz

fortmyr

Jazz, thanks for updating us.

Anne, I already knew that you are a wondeful athlete but it's the first I hear about the fundraising event that you led. You're a very generous person and I'm hoping for the best for you.

Myriam

laya d.

I am saddened by this news and send my love and well-wishes to Ann. I hope that the palliative care she is receiving keeps her pain-free and comfortable for a long long time. . .

Thank you Jazz for the update. . .

Laya

Jazz

Prayer for a Ten Speed Heart

Let the fire of my body
propel and warm me
and let each darkness
reveal its plenitude.

Let the hills
flatten under my wheels
and let the eloquent curves
yield up their good surprise.

Let my heart be obstinate
when I need to climb
and let my lowliest gears
restrain my spinning down.

Let there be flatland, too,
and into that glittering place
let me stretch with the heart of a lover,
at full speed, blind and intent.

~~~ Barbara Hendryson

Ann went peacefully on her eternal ride at 3 a.m. this morning, with her daughter and husband holding her hands. She died at home, in her own bed, without any interventions to prolong her life, as she wished. The photo below is of Ann (left) and her daughter at a Yankees game on Aug. 18th.

ssflxl

Jazz,

Thanks for conveying this sad news. Please send my condolence to Ann's family. She was a superwoman and is now at peace.

ssflxl

certain spring

Dear Jazz, that is a wonderfully appropriate poem, and thank you for posting the photo.
I am so sorry for her husband and daughter. But they made it possible for her to die as she wished, which is the great final gift. A lovely, spirited lady who will be much missed.

blue skies

My heart is so very heavy at learning this news, but lifted by the wonderful poetic tribute that so reflects Ann's approach to life. I hope that her family will draw solace and comfort from knowing (as they already do) how many people's lives Ann touched and affected -- even many that she never met or spoke directly with, but who followed her journey and drew inspiration and strength from her experience.

I feel as though I have lost a sister. We have lost too many sisters (and brothers) in this community already.

I am headed to upstate New York to visit my family for the Labor Day weekend. I hope to meet up with Whitehead's Wife, the Stage 1 NSCLC patient whose husband had been deployed to Afghanistan when she got her diagnosis but returned to support her as she underwent a lobectomy and subsequent chemotherapy. I can report that she is back at work (and working too many hours). when I see her, I will ask her to check back in with an update.

My thoughts continue to be with Myriam and her sister, Double Trouble Debra, and all of you.

Carpe diem!

fortmyr

Jazz, thank you for letting us know. This is so sad. If you have the opportunity, please offer my condolences to her daughter and husband for me.

Blue Jazz, thank you for your kind words. Please know that you are also in my thoughts.

Myriam

laya d.

What terrible news. . .I am so sad to learn of Ann's passing. My sincere and most hearfelt condolences remain with her family. Thank you Jazz for letting us know. . .

Laya