Radioactive iodine, thyroid cancer - 1291379

dpanjwan

Can the stable iodine content, as well as the radioactivity per atom of RAI, within a given dose of RAI vary? If so, would these two variations affect the rate of success of a given diagnostic/therapeutic dose?

Forums

catdander
Hi dpanjwan,

I'm sorry but I'm not able to comment on your question. We don't have specific information on thyroid cancer which is the type of cancer radioactive iodine therapy is used to treat.

I hope you get the answers you need.
All best,
Janine

dpanjwan

Thank you for your quick response, Janine! Is it possible for GRACE to send this question to a Nuclear Medicine expert on Thyroid Cancer for an answer?

JimC

Hi dpanjwan,

I'm sorry, but at present we do not have an expert on thyroid cancer available to respond to your questions.

From my limited research, the rate of decay of each atom of any radioactive isotope, including the I-131 used in RAI, varies to a certain extent (one that cannot be specifically determined for each atom), but that the half-life of a given isotope is stated as the average decay rate of the many atoms used in treatment. In addition, the dose of RAI can vary significantly from one facility to another, and from one patient to another (for specific reasons as determined by the radiation oncologist). The dosage used would likely have a much greater effect on the efficacy of treatment in any particular case. With that in mind, it might be good to direct your questions to your own medical team to learn what specific factors, if any, were used to determine your dosage.

JimC
Forum moderator